Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:13:17
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5631)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Cocoa prices spiked to an all-time high right before Valentine's Day
- Steve Ostrow, who founded famed NYC bathhouse the Continental Baths, dies at 91
- Why Taylor Lautner Still Has Love for Valentine's Day 14 Years Later
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- During Mardi Gras, Tons of Fun Comes With Tons of Toxic Beads
- We recap the 2024 Super Bowl
- Listen to Beyoncé's two new songs, '16 Carriages' and 'Texas Hold 'Em'
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- We recap the 2024 Super Bowl
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- 'We’ve got a streaker': Two fans arrested after running on field at Super Bowl 58
- Woman slain by officers after opening fire in Osteen megachurch in Houston; child critical
- Weight-loss drugs aren't a magic bullet. Lifestyle changes are key to lasting health
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- How Raquel Leviss Really Feels About Tom Sandoval Saying He's Still in Love With Her
- Trump faces Monday deadline to ask the Supreme Court for a delay in his election interference trial
- Experts weigh in on the psychology of romantic regret: It sticks with people
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
The Chiefs have achieved dynasty status with their third Super Bowl title in five years
Patrick Mahomes and Chiefs leave no doubt in Super Bowl: They're an all-time NFL dynasty
Axe-wielding man is killed by police after seizing 15 hostages on Swiss train
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s Love Story PDA Continues at Super Bowl 2024 After-Party
Listen to Beyoncé's two new songs, '16 Carriages' and 'Texas Hold 'Em'
Usher obtained marriage license with girlfriend Jennifer Goicoechea in Las Vegas before Super Bowl